My Panzerfaust only fires one shot. The Final thread.

1905 - 1945 AD

Moderators: MAGNA, Frizzenspark

MAGNA
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

My Panzerfaust only fires one shot. The Final thread.

Postby MAGNA » Tue Jan 01, 2013 2:35 am

Germany 1945.

The Russians are coming and they haven't booked ahead.

The German forces in the area are under huge pressure as the Russian forces overwhelm strongpoint
after strongpoint. Our side is the Germans for this one and we seem to have been given a mostly
mediocre point - well - it had a couple of strongpoints but our startup troops were Volksturm so we
weren't all that hopeful.

The two towns in the area were partly ruined so the defence factor is good for infantry - even Volksturm.

The first part of the game started with a Russian attack on the lower town (the other town is on a hill).
This looked nasty as the infantry were accompanied by JSII's and 2 JSU 152's which should, to be fair,
be made to carry a health warning for infantry.

We enter the game around turn three with some of the town still being contested by the German infantry
and another Russian attack developing on the other side of the board.

takingthetown.jpg

Russian forces swarm into the town after seeing off the Volksturm. The Russian infantry suffered badly
here from artillery and defensive fire with one company taking a walloping.

German troops have fallen back to the rear buildings of the town and into the forest area on the hill
behind the town.

takingtown2.jpg

Another view of the Russian attack. note the floor plan for buildings which is placed on the table when
troops are in a building. The plan matches the building that was there and has firepoints marked for
each room. Much easier for working out storming and firing. Towns are nasty places as visibility in a
dense area such as a town or heavy woods can be as low as one inch. Every time an attacker moves
forward he can be ambushed at close range with the enemy then moving back and disappearing only
to ambush again in the next move forward. Costly all round and embarrassing for tanks (extremely
vulnerable). The Russians have the odds on their side here so again, not confident for the Germans.
My get up and go never got here in the first place

MAGNA
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: My Panzerfaust only fires one shot. The Final thread.

Postby MAGNA » Tue Jan 01, 2013 2:40 am

Next we go to the other side of the battle. the Russians sent in some recon in the form of armoured cars
followed by a large contingent of infantry. I thought we were starting an ant farm at one stage.

Our erstwhile troops managed to make the Russians take their time as the three armoured cars were
blasted with only one getting close to the small river.

This proved useful as troops and vehicles had to stop to breach the river with the vehicles having to
pass a bogdown check. More on that later.

appbridge.jpg

The first Russian troops approach the river and the small bridge. The bridge has a road block on our side
with a concrete pillbox next to it which houses one HMG.

firstt34wave.jpg

A view from the Russian side with one T34 in view. A company came onto the board (three models) and
was quickly reduced to the command platoon when two models were blown away by a nasty piece of work
positioned in the rubble of the town on the hill. We had been itching to use this. As an example of the
firepower the third T34 was only suppressed but that was with a dice roll of only two!! Needless to say the
morale of the Russian commanders was not helped by this development.

firstt34wave2.jpg

View of the attack from the German side. You can see the Russian infantry in the distance as they swarm
towards us with more to come.

MAGNA
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby MAGNA » Tue Jan 01, 2013 2:44 am

By this stage we were pretty laid back as the Russian attack in the town had been costly and we still had
Volksturm fighting on. The other side of the table looked reasonable too as the Russians were still trying
to get across the river while their tank support wilted away.

Now we come to Rule 701. Don't assume you can lay back too early in a game. You might wake up with
a T34 rolling across your chest.

Back to the lower town area. The town itself was almost fully in Russian hands with our troops in front
of the forest still holding out. The Russians slammed into these troops and close combat ensued.
Interestingly a Russian SU85 was wiped out by the Volksturm and it's accompanying infantry was thrown
back. Not something we expected.

The situation was still dire though so the area commander - Colonel Bob von Arsyartillerydicenthrowen
(no kidding - the artillery rolls earlier on had really flattened the Russians), decided to close combat
three of the Russian tanks around the town. Foolish move you say? Brave but silly you say? Well, this
time you would be dead set absolutely right. All three were repulsed but it was good to see the Russian
player shaking as the dice were rolled - nothing worse than losing armour to infantry, let alone Volksturm.
This was a case of do it and see. The tanks were with more to the Russians than the Volksturm were to us
and it made the Russians a lot more careful coming forward which is what we wanted - time.

closecombat.jpg

The brave Volksturm rush out form the forest to close assault the nasty JSU 152. This was one of three
goes in the same move with all three failing but it was better than sitting back and being picked off.

The Russians than proceeded to take the rest of the town a couple of our units trapped in buildings.
Good chance they will be prisoners or worse in the next couple of moves.

breakthrough.jpg

The Russians break through to the other side of the town.

MAGNA
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby MAGNA » Tue Jan 01, 2013 2:47 am

Now back to the river crossing.

More Russian infantry appeared on the hill above the river with a second wave of T34's. More this time.
It was seven models or so which represents two companies of tanks (at least 14 vehicles).

By this stage we started using our two PAK 43's which were dug in either side of the town on the hill.
One Russian armoured recon had got close enough to identify one as well as the beast we had been
firing from the rubble.

beastunleashed.jpg

In the foreground of this pic is the mighty PAK 43. Deadly stuff. Nastier however is the beast you can see
hiding in the rubble between the church and the trees. Yes folks, it's a frigid' Jagdtiger. Frontal armour as
thick as some naval cruisers and a vicious 128mm gun. A combination the Russian players were not
overly keen on.

Problem here is that even the JagdTiger can only fire atone target per phase or twice per move. Now it
won't take three guesses to work out what came over the hill next - well done - you got it first time - more
T34's. The next wave. Fortunately they had to stop to breach the river. Without that they could have got to
the hill town pretty quickly as the T34 is no slouch. As it was only one got across.

secondt34wave.jpg

The second wave of T34's gets to the river with most being disordered and a couple having permanent
problems when it comes to future insurance premiums (You stopped to take in the view at a river when a
JagdTiger was firing at you ?).

secondt34wave2.jpg

The Russians finally got troops over the river and threw the German infantry out of their trenches. Our
eggshell defence was broken and we were now wondering whether the rest would be a soft yolk or
be hard boiled. One T34 got across the river with the infantry. This didn't last though as several more
T34;s were blasted in our defensive fire phase and then again in our move phase. The rest then
failed their reorder in the Russian move and headed for the hills. We had managed to bump off five
or six anyway.

MAGNA
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby MAGNA » Tue Jan 01, 2013 2:49 am

I mentioned being laid back before but imagine this……..

You are a german infantryman sitting in your trench. So far the Russians have taken the town to your left
but with disproportionate losses. On your right the Russian attack at the river has faltered with their tanks
leaving after making some excuse about getting back to the Smolensk library to return books and avoid
fines.

Looking like a possible draw here. you have your Panzerfaust ready with a few spare. Panthers have
appeared on the hill behind you as support and you have a PAK 40 nearby as well. Then you here some
more engines to your front…….

Then you see them…. anybody know the meaning of WTF ?

WTF.jpg

Note the poor sods (that was you in the imagining bit above) copping the assault as the first line of
T34's breaches the wall. Thay have tank riders with them who are generally armed with sub machine
guns. This makes them very good at close combat.

Man, why do these panzerfausts only fire one shot…….

MAGNA
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby MAGNA » Tue Jan 01, 2013 2:53 am

As far as the German forces were concerned it was onward and backward in this section of the battle for the next
few moves.

The Russian forces are still making their way through the town and the massive tank assault is busting it's way through
the hedges towards our Panthers which have been joined by some Hetzers. The troops and AT gun have been smashed
but that was expected.

sec wave thru.JPG

The Russian wave crashes over our flimsy defences.

They didn't get it all their own way as our artillery managed to knock out a couple of sub machine gun squads
(Colonel Bob again). This made the tanks vulnerable to infantry attack. Now, all we need is some infantry down there
to ….. haven't got any left there…. oh….

counter att.JPG

At this time our counter forces arrived. This included two companies of Panzer Grenadiers (veteran), some 251's and
a couple of Panzer IV's. We decided to try to retake the woods behind the lower town and threaten the Russian flank.
With a bit of luck we may have been able to retake part of the town as well.

Yeah, well…..

MAGNA
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby MAGNA » Tue Jan 01, 2013 2:55 am

Meanwhile, on the other side of the battle the Russian river crossing was progressing with most of the Volksturm
being thrown back or wiped out. The Russian commanders used artillery and MG fire well here to disorder our
units before close assaulting them.

Unfortunately for the Russians, close combat can be a double edged sword. It is always best to close combat
with several units against one to ensure the best chance of winning. Even when you win there is a snag. Bunching.
Units end up grouped closely and the close combat attack phase is the last part of your turn. The opposition turn
then starts with the first phase being artillery fire. More Russian troops bit the dust here.

In their net turn the Russians decided the concrete pillbox at the river had to go and close assaulted it a couple of
times in the next few turns, with disastrous results. The same was attempted against the pillbox between the town
on the hill and the bridge. This housed a PAK 40 which had been serving out punishment quite well for nearly
the entire game. Two more goes with up to four squads at a time and us being unable to really support the
defence resulted in the pillbox still holding on and disordered Russians everywhere.

Towards the centre in the ploughed field we had an infantry gun, some squads, and two Stug's, one with a 105
infantry gun. The 75mm Stug was converted to a jigsaw puzzle by some SU100's (nasty) which had appeared
to it's front and the infantry gun with it's surrounding troops didn't last long. The 105 Stug was disordered yet again
and wasn't expected to do much more.

inf cross riv.JPG

Russian forces have taken the river positions and are swarming up towards the hill town.

Our two recce units (elites) were then sent forward on our right to protect the right hand PAK 43. They had a couple
of good hits but were close assaulted and thrown back. The PAK 43 could dish it out but being an outdoors AT gun
it wasn't up to taking it back and was continually disordered, lowering it's firing capability significantly. At this time
a couple of JSU 122's came down to the bridge to play in front of the JagdTiger which was now being continually
smoked by the Russian artillery to lower it's effect. It was still better than anything else on the board though and
remained something the Russians were very wary of, especially after an SU in the centre was taken care of.

pak43 etc.JPG

Russian infantry is getting dangerously close to the PAK 43 although it didn't have many targets left on that side
anyway. It was too heavy for us to move which proved to be a nuisance.

MAGNA
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby MAGNA » Tue Jan 01, 2013 3:01 am

Back to the maelstrom in the middle.

Tanks everywhere.

pan hetz.JPG

Panthers and Hetzers guard the hill. One Panther failed to go hull down and was disordered.

taking on t34s.JPG

And here they come. Now all we have to do is roll tens for all four and then do the same again……….
did you know pigs can fly? Eight tens in a row and I would have started believing it……

taking on t34s side.JPG

A bit more perspective to show our problem. A shot from the lower town showing the Russian armour we face.
Our PAK 43 on this side of the hill town was blasted, We could have done with it about now.

Never mind. Some success as A Russian BT tank close combatted our troops and lost. A couple more Russian
tanks were walloped but overall at this stage the Panthers fire had been ineffective and the Hetzer guns were
not up to handling the Russians at long range.

The Russians have lost a lot of infantry but were not concerned as three more companies made their way onto the
battlefield.

At this stage it was a safe bet that both sides had all units committed with the German side still having some units
hidden for ambush. Our main problem now was that we needed to hit several Russian units per turn and we just
weren't able too.

By this time our thoughts were turning to probable defeat as the Russians continued to slam forward but you
never know in these games.

MAGNA
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby MAGNA » Tue Jan 01, 2013 3:03 am

Well, the Russians were still coming and they all seemed to want to be first to the top of the hill.

The German force in the trees behind the lower town were now reinforced by Panzer Grenadiers
and gave the Russian troops a very bloody nose. Behind them the Panzer IV's were positioned
on the road and forced the Russians to send some of their armour towards them (our left).

This was the idea. Slow them and make them turn so we can get some extra shots away with the
Panthers and Hetzers. The idea itself was sound but our firing was way off.

Infantry wise we managed to inflict pain on both sides of the board with some Russian companies
falling back due to losses affecting morale.

stand off.jpg

Although we managed to get some of the Russian armour we haven't been able to get the ones we
really want. That is the JSII's and the horrid JSU152's. The T34's have a defence of four with these
others having five but it makes all the difference at mid to long range.

For example, the Panzer IV's and Hetzers had +4 to the roll at ten to twenty inch range. The method
is to fire two at one target with the first shot hopefully disordering giving the second shot another
+1. Against a T34 at these ranges an 8 will disorder then needing a 9 or 10 to kill. With the JS
models and the SU 100 you need a 9 + followed by a 10.

The Jagdtiger didn't have this problem as it's plus at this range was 8 so a 7+ to kill anything. Again
it could only fire so many times a turn and still had smoke (1 or 2 off).

The SU 100's proved their worth by both firing at the Panther which was not hull down. Barbecued
Panther resulted.

MAGNA
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby MAGNA » Tue Jan 01, 2013 3:05 am

lower town.jpg

Russian troops are trying to get into the woods behind the town but they are copping the ambush
problem and one of the depleted companies has bolted.

The newer units of Russians starting to suffer here as well and that is our only hope. Without
enough infantry the Russians cannot hope to take the town on the hill as tanks are no good
in built up areas. We also still have a full company of Grenadiers in the town on the hill, each
rifle squad being armed with Panzerfausts. There is hope yet.

lower town2.jpg

Now we see the fly in the ointment of our plan. More bloody Russians in trucks passing through
the town. Another company is on board in half tracks and is following the tanks up the hill. We
were ok when they were on foot in the open but a quick run up and disembark in foot range of
the town is another matter.

Return to “World War Era”