Empire Napoleonic Game.

1568 - 1815 AD

Moderators: MAGNA, Frizzenspark

MAGNA
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Empire Napoleonic Game.

Postby MAGNA » Tue Jan 10, 2012 2:38 pm

This game is just starting but will progress over the coming weeks until we have a full report.

First is the table setup. Hilly area with trees and orchards. Buildings as in farms and a large chateau
type place in one corner. Rock walls with some roads. A small town on the south east corner.

It's around 1809 as far as the timeline goes so the Austrian army is not exactly great (that's my team). I
think our best commander may just rate as mediocre. Brilliant!! We have lots of troops but most are rated as conscripts. Again - brilliant.

The French are at or around the height of their powers and the worst of their commanders is probably
rated as very good os something like that. Brilliant!! They will most likely have less troops but many of
them will doubtless be veteran or better. Again - brilliant.

Never mind. Ours are painted just as well as theirs and our overall commanders - actual humans that is,
are very confident. Could be something to do with the fact that we haven't really started fighting yet but
you don't stop till the fat lady sings. In our case she may well be using our carcasses as deck chairs....

Now to the game board again....

1.jpg

This is a view from the western end. Our first Austrians come on from the bottom right corner. We need
to get the bridge in the distance at the top right corner (there is a town there). Our troops will also be
coming on at the town in turn two or later.

We also need to take and hold the hill area in the middle.
My get up and go never got here in the first place

MAGNA
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Empire Napoleonic Game.

Postby MAGNA » Tue Jan 10, 2012 2:57 pm

Now here is the view from the South East corner showing the town we will be assaulting in turn two or
later (depending on dice). The bridge must be taken to get our troops across and fight the main French
force which is bound to turn up.

2.jpg

Onward to move one. Our troops Grand tac onto the board. This is the advance guard which includes some
good infantry and cavalry so we don't want them blundering into French troops. It was decided to go
straight for the central hill so we could position our horse guns and cavalry to stop any French advance
down the road. We also want the hill anyway so we took a chance here.

3.jpg

All the troops got to the top of the hill by move two but one infantry unit copped a bombardment by
some French artillery which was waiting next to the road to the town. The Austrian troops came off badly
in this case losing a third of one unit. Good shooting from the French unfortunately.

The Austrian infantry started the next move by advancing towards the French cannons but came into
engagement range of French infantry hidden in the trees. The Austrians will have two take more fire
from the French cannon next week but our cannon are ready to fire back and our jagers have
skirmishers out so we are confident... sort of..... well a bit.....

In the meantime our next Austrian division is following the advance guard onto the board and is heading
down the road towards the bridges and the French cannon. The French units there will soon be attacked
from two directions. French cavalry has moved into the open as well and is heading for the Austrian
advance guard infantry....

4.jpg

The French cavalry come out. In the distance you will see the Austrian cavalry on the hill getting ready
to give them a whipping....

MAGNA
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby MAGNA » Tue Jan 10, 2012 3:02 pm

5.jpg

A closer view of the French cavalry and a gun battery they have brought with them. It's good just to look
at the table and figures for this period. Visually very appealing and the photos don't really do this justice.

6.jpg

A closer view of the Austrian advance guard (my units).

TRDG
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

Postby TRDG » Thu Jan 12, 2012 9:36 am

Nice board, terrain and units Mag!! Should be a nice break from the WW II action, after a while though that bug will bite ya again I suspect!!

Cheers

Tom

MAGNA
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby MAGNA » Thu Jan 12, 2012 9:46 am

Definitely will take a while to play this one through. Next could be Ancients, Napoleonic ships, WWI ships, American
Civil War, or perhaps WWII. WWII is the predominant game for sure though so you're spot on there.

TRDG
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

Postby TRDG » Thu Jan 12, 2012 11:23 am

Frizz plays Ancients I beleave, might be interesting to get him kickstarted on that with you perhaps at some point, his son is into it as well I beleave!!

Cheers, there is just something about WWII I just can't find in other erra's of "warefare", just so interesting from the gear to each nation and its soldiers, generals and their "aspect" of the "war to end (again) all wars"

Tom

MAGNA
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby MAGNA » Sat Jan 14, 2012 2:21 am

An ancients game is on the cards for our group for sure. Hope I get the elephants. They aren't that great in the game
but they look cool and disorder cavalry.

I used to play WWII exclusively for the same reasons but when some of the other periods were tried they can
really be something different with different problems to solve. The variation is well worth a try as I've found it
helps with tactics for WWII as well.

Hagen
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Hagen » Sun Jan 15, 2012 1:32 pm

TRDG wrote:Nice board, terrain and units Mag!!

My thoughts also! What a great looking game you have going there Magna. Simply beautiful!

TRDG
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

Postby TRDG » Sun Jan 15, 2012 1:45 pm

I wonder when Frizz will find this topic...... LOL

Cheers, should have some interesting posts about ancients then I bet!!!

Tom

MAGNA
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby MAGNA » Mon Jan 16, 2012 3:03 am

Thanks for the nice comments re the table setup. I didn't have anything to do with this one, I just turn up and
play. Unfortunately for the game board that usually means carnage on the tabletop as my units get minced and
ruin the scenery.

If anyone is interested, the green backing is a large roll (5m x 2.5 ish or 16 x 8 feet) of tee shirt material. Soft
enough to follow contours, heavy enough to sit without rippling, and stretches rather than splits. This piece is
a lot of years old too. It has recently been "sprayed". You might be able to see patches of brown, yellowish, and
green bits over it. These add a bit more variation for looks and then the terrain features go over the top.

Return to “Pike & Shot”