Building a Stargate SG1 System Lord Palace

Follow Along for Terrain, Structures, and Diorama Build Sessions

Moderators: MAGNA, Lucky Luke

Postby Whiterook » Mon Sep 24, 2012 6:04 pm

Every good System Lord needs a nice crib!

So what is a system Lord?

A hierarchy of the galaxy's most powerful Goa'uld, each controlling and operating from their own region of space. As the Goa'uld have a feudal society, these areas are constantly in dispute. Various System Lords are almost constantly in conflict with one another; if one Goa'uld is forced to abandon a planet, another will often take his or her place

The System Lords form the highest level of authority within Goa'uld society; with lesser Goa'uld, Jaffa, and human slaves in their service. They meet together on rare occasions to discuss their mutual interests and enemies.

Currently active System Lords include (but are not necessarily limited to) Anubis, Baal, Bastet, Kali, Morrigan, Olokun, Svarog, and Yu. Yu has been a member of the elite group the longest, for more than 1,000 years. Deceased Goa'uld who were once at the level of System Lord include Ra, Nirrti, Cronus, Apophis, and possibly Heru'ur.

From time to time, there has been a single System Lord who dominates the others. Ra was called the "Supreme System Lord" before his death.

The subject of this tread is the building of a System Lord's Palace, somewhere on a distant world. Be warned, however: This one is going to take awhile! It will be a diorama, likely around 5 feet X 5 feet.

Hope you enjoy the ride.
"The Golden Rule of War, Speed - Simplicity - Boldness"
"YOU ARE NOT BEATEN UNTIL YOU ADMIT IT. HENCE, DON'T..."
-- General George S. Patton, Jr
Whiterook
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Building a Stargate SG1 System Lord Palace

Postby Whiterook » Mon Sep 24, 2012 6:39 pm

The first step on this journey was to see if I could acquire a Great Adventure of The Lost Kingdom Playset by Soma...of China. There are two versions that were out there...a united Kingdom version of the playset, and a United States version....both reportedly had slightly different components. If I read between the lies correctly, the UK version was the better one to get. However, I got the USA version and I am absolutely fine with that!

I've been seeing these sell for about $60+ USD online in the secndary market, and I was lucky to pick this one up for $9.99 USD! It was "well loved", let's say :lol: :shock: :lol: as the box looked like it was run over by a couple Ice Road Truckers...but the pieces themselves were in good shape. There was some issues with breakage in some small areas, but hell...this is going to see it's fair share of scratch-building anyway!

Covering approximately 21-1/2 X 16-1/2 inches, this is a fairly decent playset for young kids, made of injection blow molding. The detail is pretty impressive,as well. The walls of the temple are adorned with hieroglyphics, figures, and a great sun disk over the central doorway. Of course, it isn't "fine detail", and why would it be? ....it's a kid's set! But that is soon to change.
Whiterook
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Whiterook » Mon Sep 24, 2012 6:54 pm

So, I unpacked the components. There was a lot of noticeable dust-cobwebs, and I wouldn't be surprised if more than Lego-style Egyptians made a home in the box at one point! :o

The front gate of the playset is pretty cool, with the aforementioned sun disk above the area....

You will note that mold artwork is fairly pristine in appearance. Way too smooth for my taste, even if I weather the crap out of it so, there will be a generous amount of scribing and sculpting of stone wear and roughness. The lines of the edges are too perfect. You will also notice some mold lines that will need attention, too. Actually, I am rather excited to see just how far I will be able to bring this!

Pulling back, here's what the front exterior looks like.....

Excuse the tablecloth....my wife is Italian...take it up with her (if you dare!).

I like how it has the three doorways....great shot angles and cover for our SGC heroes! The great thing about components like these, and the reason for getting the playset in the first place was the options it gives to build upon. It is the starting bones.

The two figures i front are loose....they need a lot of TLC to to get them too look more authentic and less kiddie-toy. The United Kingdom version of this playset supposedly came with more figures.
Whiterook
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Whiterook » Mon Sep 24, 2012 7:12 pm

The central shrine area is intriguing, though will need a lot of conversion to make it look and act more along the grander lines I want....

It has some of the best detail on the whole playset! You will note that there is only one doorat the moment...the other one fell off due to the damage you can see from the top and bottom doorway framework. The inside has some of the minimal color you'll see in the set, with gold walls inside. The door bulges out a bit from he blow-molding....in fact, you can squeeze it and feel the air rush out of the little hole you see on the top edge.

The columns on the sides are open in the back and will require sealing up. I'll have to weight down a lot of these components somehow....I'll have fun figuring that out.

NOTE: THE COMPONENTS WERE JUST PLACED IN POSITION, WITH NOTHING LOCKED INTO PLACE.

Next up, the front of the shrine's columns have figures in bas relief that will need some attention. Right now, they the look of a little Carnival Doll look, to me. Looking through the center openning, you will note some treasure...actually, I thought it is pretty cool looking. The platform is nice...needs some work, as everything does, but the flat front will be built upon ....

Whiterook
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Whiterook » Mon Sep 24, 2012 7:16 pm

And now, the interior of the palace.....

This isn't the exact layout I am planning, but rather the layout shown on the box.

I am looking forward to scratchbuilding and tricking these components out!
Whiterook
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Frizzenspark » Mon Sep 24, 2012 10:30 pm

Wow, you've got alot of work ahead of you, but far, far, less than you'd have starting from scratch.....

You might want to try to re-cast some portions; possibly casting in sand.

There is textured paint to coat the surfaces, though remember these will be well-maintained, as they are lived in...
"Why piddle about making porridge with artillery and then send men to drown themselves in it for a hundred yards of No Man's land? Tanks mean advances of miles at a time, not yards.".
Maj-Gen Percy Hobart (1885-1957)79th Armoured Division
Frizzenspark
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Frank » Tue Sep 25, 2012 11:31 am

So you did get it after all, a bit cartoony but a great place to start. Looking forward to seeing this take shape.

Frank
Growing old is inevitable,
growing up can be postponed indefinitely
Frank
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby gcooley » Tue Sep 25, 2012 4:36 pm

Yes, you got it! Interesting, as this is not the US version I got. My set did not include the side walls, but had many more colossi, unless you didn't include them all in the photo. Also, there were several bags of Lego figures and detail like weapons, headgear and such. All those bits were probably "choking hazards" and possibly dropped. I would gladly give these to a kid of the right age. I think the temple gate is worth the price all by itself. The inner temple does require a lot of work, like closing up the hollow pillars. Duplicating the square shape is not hard. I cast "cartouches" from slabs of epoxy putty to decorate wooding columns. I used the blow-moulded doors with the hieroglyphs as the master for lifting detail. Not great, but it worked OK.
gcooley
Private
Private

Postby Whiterook » Wed Sep 26, 2012 10:22 pm

gcooley wrote:Yes, you got it! Interesting, as this is not the US version I got. My set did not include the side walls, but had many more colossi, unless you didn't include them all in the photo. Also, there were several bags of Lego figures and detail like weapons, headgear and such. All those bits were probably "choking hazards" and possibly dropped. I would gladly give these to a kid of the right age. I think the temple gate is worth the price all by itself. The inner temple does require a lot of work, like closing up the hollow pillars. Duplicating the square shape is not hard. I cast "cartouches" from slabs of epoxy putty to decorate wooding columns. I used the blow-moulded doors with the hieroglyphs as the master for lifting detail. Not great, but it worked OK.

Thanks all! :D

GC.....actually, everything you see there is everything I got, except not pictured are the little Lego-like figures and their accessories, which came in a as which Baggie. Many of them were actually decapitated so, apparently the Mummy got to them! I was happy to see the side walls come with this...the sides should hold up on their own without too much tweaking, but the tops will have to be death with big time. And yes, that Temple gate section is definitely with the price alone! For under $10+ shipping, it's provides a great starting framework.

Frank.....yeah, it is rather cartoony in so e spots but, as mentioned, it provides a great starting framework for some of the major diorama elements. Half the fun of this is going to be in the scratch building and conversion.
Whiterook
Site Admin
Site Admin

Return to Follow As I Build