Battlefront: WWII Redux

Discussion subforum for A&AM, and Conversions to Other Systems

Moderator: Frank

Battlefront: WWII Redux

Postby Whiterook » Wed Jul 04, 2012 8:09 pm

Why Redux?

Well, this thread is actually about re-purposing a very large stock of Axis & Allies Miniatures, which have gone fairly dormant in use; and they will be "brought back and restored" to a whole new system-use!

I am putting my Axis & Allies Miniatures on steroids, in essence!!!

Miniatures wargaming systems are usually presented in one of two scales:

• Platoon WYSIWYG scale where one figure or miniature represents one actual man or vehicle, where you play out more on the platoon-level (like Flames of War); and

• Battalion/Divisional Larger-scale where one vehicle or figure represents a whole platoon, and you play on the battalion or divisional-level (like Axis & Allies Miniatures)

Battlefront: WWII plays in between those two typical scales, where....

• Maneuver Element scale has one vehicle or plane representing 2 or 3 units; and one stand (typically with two miniature figures and maybe a heavy gun) representing a squad or section. These stands of infantry/artillery, and the vehicle/plane miniature is a "unit", and multiple units make a "maneuver element".

Now I know that may sound a little confusing. What it boils down to is.....Axis & Allies Miniatures plays at a large scale level on a small board; and because it is so large scale, it 'dumb's down' (IMHO) a lot of nuts and bolts that bring realism (and therefore, life) to the game. I know that sounds harsh, and it's not meant to be harsh...I love Axis & Allies Miniatures (obviously, considering my miniatures are in the thousands!). But, A&AM has lost some of its luster with me, mainly because I, well, just want a little more. A little more.

As a brief aside, on the other side of the spectrum, I see myself getting more into Flames of War, but that's a LOT more than Axis & Allies Miniatures! And suited to it's very own brand of miniatures, even though A&AM can fill in the blanks.

So to digress, A&AM is a little too light for me, so Battlefront: WWII is just the ticket to go that next level up in complexity and realism; and also the solution to re-purpose all my A&AM miniatures.

In future posts on this thread, you will see how I convert my A&AM infantry and artillery to Battlefront:WWII stands; and re-purpose my vehicles. The beautiful part of all this is the added bonus of using my small collection of A&AM airplanes in a system that in my view, utilizes them more realistically.

So sit back and enjoy. You may not agree; you may be shocked, you may be inspired....but if nothing else, you WILL be entertained!!! :ugeek:
If I could speak the language of rabbits, they would be in awe, and I would be their King. I would be kind to my rabbit subjects......at first
Whiterook
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Battlefront: WWII Redux

Postby MAGNA » Fri Jul 06, 2012 10:33 am

I'll be very interested to see how this pans out as you go. Our Battlefront gaming uses 1/72 scale which is larger than
the standard 15mm for this scale. They still "fit" quite well though and the game can be changed by adding 50%
to movement and ranges. We have tried this and it is far more dangerous for units on board with movement being
a lot quicker (obviously).
MAGNA
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Whiterook » Sat Jul 07, 2012 5:48 pm

Thanks. I'll be digging out all my infantry first, and grouping them for mounting on stands. I've referenced the maneuver elements in the book, for unit building, and adding in a little common sense. I should have enough infantry of different types to makeup a decent force of Americans, Germans, and Russians. I can also make up smaller specialized forces of other nationalities to supplement Axis and Allied force OOBs.

I plan to mount them on plastic bases made from scrap from trim material used on my vinyl siding project from last summer on the house. It's a little thicker than plasticard, and I think they'll offer a tad more stability. It will come down to how well it cuts.

Planning on a spackle application to the plastic base, scored; impressions of the miniature infantry bases into the plaster; sand, dirt, flocking, whatever....with paint; and finally, try hot-gluing the miniatures in the indentations. The last step being to offer the possibility to still remove the miniatures should I need them for an A&AM game? Of course, since only two infantry are mounted per stand, I can still use the miniatures in an A&AM game still mounted on stands ....just needing to pair them up in the A&AM version game.

The tanks and vehicles are as is and will work fine. As will the planes.

The only wildcard being, the large quantities of Axis & Allies Miniatures tanks and vehicles that were produced before proper scaling to 15mm. They are noticeably smaller than their counterparts, but in the end, does that matter so much? A question as yet unanswered.

:ugeek:
If I could speak the language of rabbits, they would be in awe, and I would be their King. I would be kind to my rabbit subjects......at first
Whiterook
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Whiterook » Mon Jul 09, 2012 10:25 pm

I dug out my Axis & Allies Miniatures this weekend and started picking through the infantry and artillery. I separated out American pieces first, pairing up figures in a large beading container and have a pretty nice selection. Infantry, bazooka teams with rifle teams, etc...all in pairs of two per stand; command stands of three figures, one being a definite leader. I had enough to make up units that will plug in nicely to infantry and armored infantry maneuver elements. I have some engineers and paratroopers, too. I iputilized some of my Buffalo Soldier figures to supplement the second unit with engineers, for instance. At this scale, you can have some decent latitude.

I plan to base these and see what I end up with.

Repurposing mini's that have been stored away is very exciting!

Half way through the rules. I am taking my time with them and as MAGNA suggested, will break out some mini is and start playing through the rules. Pictures and sit reps to come!
Whiterook
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Frank » Tue Jul 10, 2012 3:44 pm

If you wanted them removable what about using magnets, you can get magnetic sheet reasonably cheaply and if you put them on a textured metal base that could work quite well.
Growing old is inevitable,
growing up can be postponed indefinitely
Frank
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Whiterook » Thu Jul 12, 2012 5:45 pm

Frank wrote:If you wanted them removable what about using magnets, you can get magnetic sheet reasonably cheaply and if you put them on a textured metal base that could work quite well.

Hmmmmm...that's an interesting idea! Not sure what a 'magnetic sheet' is, but I'll look into it. The problem with the Axis & Allies Miniatures figures is, the bases are concave of sorts, like an upside down cup, so there is a lip around the circumference.

To be honest, I have so many of the damed little buggers that, well, it's turning out not to be an issue, LOL! I have plenty of leftovers to use in any Axis & Allies Miniatures game I could ever possibly want to get into; and plenty to affix permanently to bases for Battlefront: WWII.
Whiterook
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Frank » Fri Jul 13, 2012 10:49 am

Whiterook wrote: Not sure what a 'magnetic sheet' is, but I'll look into it.

To be honest I have never used it but some of the guys have and it works really well. It comes in a flexible sheet that you can cut to size, peel the back off and Bobs your uncle, as we say.

There was a thread on my home site a while ago, I will see if I can find it and post up a link.

Frank
Frank
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Frank » Fri Jul 13, 2012 12:32 pm

There is a site that sells it at

http://www.magnetic-paper.com/shop.asp?

http://www.magneticdisplays.co.uk

The p`n`p could be high from the UK but you should find a supplier in the US.

Frank
Frank
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Whiterook » Sun Jul 15, 2012 1:37 am

Cool....thanks, Frank!

Was looking at some of the American Axis & Allies Miniatures infantry I have set aside and fitting them in a dry test on Flames of War bases....I think I'll go with those rather than cutting my own.

Started debating whether to just buy some Flames of War infantry instead, but decided (so far!) to stick with the A&AM minis.
Whiterook
Site Admin
Site Admin

Return to Axis & Allies Miniatures & Conversions